A beautiful post by Mind Waves Community Correspondent Maureen Gilmour as part of our ‘decade’ theme.
A lot has changed for me in the last ten years. I don’t really think about life in terms of achievements. In fact, some of the most positive changes for me have been things that I’ve given up. Things that I would have thought were signs of success, but that did nothing to make me happy.
In the last decade, I have:
- Had the courage to address my mental health issues
- Left my marriage and realised my self worth
- Left my long-term family home and moved to a new house on my own
- Given up a successful career to save my sanity
- Found some peace and happiness
- Joined Mind Waves, found like-minded supportive people and had articles published
- Made and lost friends
- Still not mastered technology
- Raised my children to become independent and loving adults
- Felt the effects of climate change
- Learned to accept who I am – the failures as much as the attributes
- Become more open and accepting of myself and others.
If you’d like to share your own reflections as part of our ‘decade’ theme please get in touch – we’d love to hear from your story! Why not watch our short animation with some questions to get you thinking?